Friday, February 8, 2013

Don't Despair 'Til You Do Your Hair!

So I woke up this morning. Which was nice in and of itself, but then stayed in my pajamas all morning long chatting with friends on skype until my Mother gave me 'the look', and pj day came to an aburpt end. So I plodded upstairs and picked through my clothes to find an outfit to wear.

Since I hadn't worn it in a while, I decided to piece together this outfit again:

 
 
Obviously, my stuff isn't exactly like that polyvore set, detail wise, but the colors and styles are the same. So I put that on, but I couldn't find my blue scarf, so I opted for a green one. Standing in front of the bathroom mirror, I tried fiddling with the scarf several different ways, but as a whole, the outfit seemed far less impressive to me than it had when I'd worn it a couple weeks ago. So I just gave up, knowing I wasn't going anywhere that day so it didn't really matter, and went downstairs to do my hair.
 
Again, I was feeling a little less than motivated, so instead of going all the way through it (I have really thick, really curly hair), I just threw it up in a ponytail.
Then I got an idea. Finding my green scarf again, I tied it over my hair like a headband. I quite liked it. I dashed upstairs, retrieved my pink gypsy earrings, and came downstairs again with them on, looking in the mirror. The entire outfit had transformed, just with those few extra touches. It looked more coherent, less tired, and very me, in the end. All 'cause I did my hair.
 
 

One of the things I try to do with my clothes is draw attention more to my face than my body. There's nothing wrong with dressing attractively, but in the end, we modest gals want the eyes of others to meet our eyes when they look at us, not some other place. My problem? With my unkempt, frizzled bedhead, my face looked pretty tired and unimpressive. Once I gave the eyes something nice to look at, the rest of the outfit fell into place. I couldn't just get ready halfway, or it would look like I'd only gotten ready halfway.
I'm still not going anywhere today, but I'm quite glad I was able to figure this out. I like to look nice for my family, and even though at the end of the day they honestly don't think any less of me if my outfits aren't perfectly coordinated and my hair looks the same as when it did when I got out of bed, they do appreciate it when I've managed to put myself together well for the day. And that's a good feeling.
 
~Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment