Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Because....

......This blog has been sitting here for weeks with no posts. Not overly interesting.

So this is post number one, by Penny. I suppose here I should explain what exactly this blog is for, but to be honest, I'm not quite sure I know, myself. And I also don't necessarily feel like I'm servicing a dire need in the Christian community by coming up with a revolutionary new idea called 'modest fashion'. No, this idea has been around for a while. I just enjoy it, and want to share it, along with my friend Wynni. We both have bunches of fun putting together outfits, swapping nail polish colors and accessories, and decided, why not? Let's start a blog. So we did.

Neither of us are overly organized, so don't expect a specific schedule or sequence of events. Patterns, yes. Schedules, noooooo. We'll likely be sharing our little gems of discovery and favorite tidbits of wot nots and so forth. And yeah, we both talk like that, too.

So to start off completely randomly, here's me as a polyvore set:

That is my kind of style. I've worn outfits like that for the past few years, since I started choosing and buying my own clothes and developing my personal style. Generally, I'm a summer/spring dresser. Winter doesn't suit me very well at all, but since I now live in the midwest where winter is an anual event, I'm going to have to learn how to deal with it and still retain some semblence of attractiveness. Not something I've been succeeding at lately, but winter's almost over, so it's not that big a deal. Next year.
 

So let's see. A bit of advice. Hm.... I probably don't know anything that most other girls who enjoy fashion don't already know. I have several versatile skirts that I keep in my clothing arsenal and can pair with close to any of my tops, which makes dressing in the morning a heck of a lot easier than it could be. At the moment, most of my tops are pretty simple, as well. I believe I have three ribbed sweaters of similar design, but different colors, that I spice up with scarves, earrings, nail polish colors, and yes, socks. It keeps me warm, even if it's not my usual summer gypsy/tropical style.

One of the things I consider important, at least to myself, is that each outfit I wear feels like me. I wore an outfit the other day that, I confess, looked nice, in its own right. But I didn't like wearing it because it made me feel like I was wearing my Mother's style and not my own. To me, fashion is an expression of myself. It's me presenting my image to a world that in spite of its pithy mottos, really does judge a book by its cover to a certain extent. So I like to make the cover at least a little bit 'me'.

For some people that idea would make them self conscious. And I guess it does to me, as well, to some extent, but I've been picky about my clothes since I was little, and now it motivates me to dress nicely and keeps me from being able to hang around in slovenly clothes for very long. I don't believe it's vain to try and look nice each day. In fact, I think it's a blessing to others to put effort into being at the very least presentable.

So. Yeah. A bit of rambling, a polyvore set, and some words on fashion in general. I think that's good enough for a first post, hm?

Keep smiling,
~Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment